Sunday, February 22, 2015

In the Words of Joshua

Before I got into music, I was an all state and all american athlete in four sports in high school. Though my love and true joy was basketball, I decided to play football for the University of Michigan. I also got my degree in medicine and became a doctor for a short period of time. The high school that I went to was blessed with amazing track and cross country runners. I was one of these runners. In track, breaking several national records that still exist to this day in the sports of basketball, football, but in the sport of cross country, I ran a 5 k, 3.1 miles in 15 minutes 35 seconds. Yet, was not even close to the national record which are held by three of my team mates.We had run the national championship in cross country for over a decade straight. For all classes. A-D. My best friend in high school was a man named Casey Shay. His brother was also one of my best friends, Ryan Shay. Casey was incredible. Ryan was phenomenal. Why am I saying was? Ryan dominated through all of high school and college and was going to be in the Olympics. He had fallen short a couple years, though he was primarily a long distance runner, he decided to do the steeple chase. He had finally qualified for the Olympics. For several years, he had won every major marathon in the United States, including the most famous, the Boston and New York Marathons. Several years ago in his mid 20's as he was a few years behind me, he was in the New York Marathon. A true friend. Keeping in touch throughout the years. Though I absolutely hated running, my sister was a national champ, so it was expected of me. But I grew to love the camaraderie of all sports and the friendships through them. Ryan was and still is my family. While running the marathon, a full 40 minutes ahead of everyone else, one mile from the finish line, he collapsed and died. His entire life, he had a congenital heart defect, his heart was pumping blood backwards. Though was still capable of achieving all of this. By this time I had become quite successful in music, but had been stricken down by severe illness. Many people fall short, many times of what people expect of them. Just as my health has kept me from achieving my dreams and goals and my purpose, at least for now and to the best of my ability. This young man Ryan had accomplished so much. What was amazing to me was that he was judged so harshly, being called lazy, that he didn't work hard, that he didn't embrace his talent and took it for granted, but after he died and the autopsy was performed, well those who judged him knew different. These little examples in life, whether people are going through pain, know it, pain that is severe, sickness that is life threatening. This kind of a life does not allow for them to be weak. They must be strong for them to survive. The will that it takes. With someone like Ryan, who knew something was wrong, as he spoke that he didn't feel well, many days, why would anyone think that it was this serious? So when looking upon people, look into their eyes, look into their hearts, from your own heart. And remember this, the stronger a person is, the more pain they have dealt with in their life and the more love they hold in their heart and many times people take advantage of this and strip them of their strength and love, but never of their dignity. Many of us are guilty, but we are all better than this. It's amazing to me that there are so many cases of this that have happened, yet we still live our life not giving the benefit of the doubt. When I was severely ill for three and a half years, I wrote a screenplay about my life. When I went into remission, I had submitted it to several major movie studios. And in less than two months, it had been bought. I also was able to start my album. My movie had been greenlit. I was supposed to be the lead. And the album that I was to release, though I'm primarily a blues man, has a multitude of different styles of music was supposed to be a 2 disc cd for I was also doing the soundtrack and the score to my movie. Everything seemed to be coming together. And almost overnight I got severely ill. I have been fighting ever since. I've been doing my best to try to finish up my album. Though my capability vocally musically is not up to par. It has been very difficult. I also have to go through rewrites, which I have been too ill to do because, since the story is of my life, the struggle has continued. I don't believe God would give me these gifts, and as I have worked so hard to perfect them, to not be heard and seen for who I truly am. Why am I saying this? Every time I look at a person, I wonder, are they going through something so terrible that they can't achieve their dreams and goals as well? The physical, psychological, spiritual desperation. Whether we build cars, change tires, cook, are a musician or an actor, we all want to be recognized. When dealing with music and movies, it is a part of my soul, it is a vulnerability that I am letting out for the world to see and hear. Though unless you have seen me live, you have no understanding of the gifts that I have been given. This has made me realize so many things, it is also one of the reasons that I must help so many. So when you look at a person, ask yourself, what are they going through? When you are open to this, your heart is open. You can see through the strength into the pain. And you can truly know how to help someone. Remember, your words and your actions are only as good as the heart behind them. We all need to shine. But not alone. Together. Live your life in joy. Through joy. Give your love and your time. It's very precious. It's the one thing you can not get back. But it is the one thing that is appreciated and needed the most. As I state often about people's smiles, sometimes a simple smile can light up the entire world, and brighten someone's day. Give. Love. and Rejoice. I find it fascinating that we live in a world that celebrates celebrity. It's a contradiction within itself. Where everyone yearns to be a celebrity. But it comes down to the need of being wanted. And the want of being needed. We must celebrate all life. We are all special and valuable. And no matter what, every person on this earth has a role in our success and we are a product of their support. What triggered this statement from me is a new movie starring Kevin Costner called MacFarland. It made me think of my old friend Ryan. One of the reasons I started my blog page The Greatest Stories Ever Told There are such amazing and beautiful people in this world, with unbelievable stories. Living in the world of Hollywood. To be able to bring these people's lives to the big screen. Or to a documentary. That is a true accomplishment. Stories that we can relate to. That we can learn from. And grow together. But it saddens me that they are so easily forgotten. As once we are in the spotlight we must stay in it to be appreciated. I, myself, have been guilty of this. Dealing with my illness. I have forgotten a lot of things. some of it is from illness itself. But this also makes me appreciate the world of music and movies. A forum that is unprecedented. So if anyone is a part of this world, we must do justice to the story we are telling through these movies and through music. What we have now is not forever. But if we righteously do for others, that will certainly and absolutely last forever. One family, one heart, one love. 
~Joshua Jet Vaughan~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.