Anecdote of the day. I graduated high school in 1993. I graduated young for most. My parents, specifically my father had promised for my graduation present to take me to a Chicago Bulls game. As with many, I was in awe with Michael Jordan. Fortunately, I had an inside track.
My cousin, who at the time owned the largest market research firm in the world, which was in the city of Chicago, knew many of the players personally, worked with the Chicago Bulls and had a sky box in Chicago Stadium. My father never kept his promise. Michael Jordan retired. And then the great news, he came out of retirement, as I had thought that my opportunity was gone.
At the age of 23, I had went to Chicago to record a music video. This happened to be at the same time as the NBA finalsChıcago Bulls vs. Portland Trailblazers. During that time several of us had went out on my cousin's yacht, which was at port in Montrose Harbor. The first part that is interesting is that his boat was right next to Scottie Pippin's and Michael Jordan's.
At this time my cousin was a billionaire, but still a cool guy. Now he is not a cool guy, and is what we call stupid rich. I had been fortunate enough to meet and go out for a short period of time on Scottie Pippin's boat for about 20 minutes. This was before I lost all respect for Scottie because of his treatment of Michael and the Bulls and throwing them under the bus. In passing, there he was, the great Michael Jordan as we were walking on the dock.
My cousin immediately took the reigns, walked up and had a conversation with Michael. Michael was kind enough to look beyond my cousin Matthew and introduce himself to the rest of us. The 7th game was coming up as they had lost the 6th in Portland. I asked Michael why he was out and about and he said he really needed some "me" time and wanted to enjoy the fireworks that were being set off all along the bay. Knowing my cousin Matthew personally, he said, "I can't wait to see you all at the game and I hope you enjoy it." Of course, being Michael, guaranteeing the win, which they did. So generous is Michael Jordan, set up passes so that we could go where ever we wanted within the stadium.
On a funny note: though I can not remember the time a large steel beam drops down to close exit and entry from the harbor. All of us, including Scottie and Michael were stuck, there was a security guard as we pulled up to exit who walked to our car and we asked can you raise the gate? He said he couldn't, it was on a timer. As all of us were in what would be considered sports cars, they were very low to the ground. Yet there was no way out. So the security guard says, hop the curb and just drive through the lawn as there was about a ten foot wide gap in the fencing to get through. All three cars did so. Two of the cars lost their mufflers that evening. And of course Michael was the one who didn't, because he gets a lot of air.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.