Because the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, I have decided to share an anecdote. Though most of my long winded anecdotes don't get read, I have nothing to lose. As far as life is concerned, I have had many people in my family that have reached quite a level of success, but I have found there is always a story behind every man's journey.
I have three cousins that were and are exceptional hockey players. Two of them were chosen for the 1980 Olympics in hockey. Kurt and Adam. Brothers none the less, but two different ways of life. Unfortunately, the United States boycotted the 1980 Olympics as now my cousins can not live their life long dream. Instead of waiting for the next Olympics to come around, as they lived in Chicago they were drafted and played for the Chicago Blackhawks.
I have three cousins that were and are exceptional hockey players. Two of them were chosen for the 1980 Olympics in hockey. Kurt and Adam. Brothers none the less, but two different ways of life. Unfortunately, the United States boycotted the 1980 Olympics as now my cousins can not live their life long dream. Instead of waiting for the next Olympics to come around, as they lived in Chicago they were drafted and played for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Before this happened, my cousin Kurt worked in heating and cooling. My cousin Adam was a drug dealer. Both of them made the team, and both of them started for the Blackhawks for several years.
My cousin Kurt had gotten injured during a game. He had taken a year off for rehabilitation and played for several more years in Chicago's minor league hockey team. Eventually retiring as he enjoyed the outdoors moving to Montana. Yet, still having a home in Chicago.
My cousin Adam on the other hand, who I must add both had a very privileged upbringing, not only sold drugs, but used them as well. My Aunt Sue, who loved her sons tremendously, aided my cousin Adam in his absconsion of the law. Adam moved to Florida. One day Adam was driving. He got pulled over. He did not have his license on him. So he said that he was his brother Kurt. The police officer was an incredible Chicago Blackhawks fan, originally being from there. And remembered Kurt as a player. But the officer had to do his job. So he was arrested for driving without a license. As this was about 20 years ago, it took quite some time through fingerprinting to get back a person's identity. My cousin, Adam, was let go as being my cousin Kurt. He was on the lam for ten years and one of the FBI's most wanted. Though the amount of drugs that he was originally caught with would not be a big deal today, 20 years ago Nancy Reagan had started the war on drugs. With the help of his mother, my Aunt Sue, who had wealth beyond reason, my cousin Adam turned himself in and did his bid. Now living his life helping others and coaching a hockey team in Chicago. So this story contains riches to riches, privileged to greatness, and the difference between a man who appreciated what he was blessed with and one that did not. But as they had started out in the same place, coming full circle, they are living identical lives as they did as boys...
Previously in my anecdote I had mentioned a third brother that was incredible in the sport of hockey. As I was telling my father how I had shared the story, he had reminded me some of the story that I had forgotten, so here it goes.
My uncle Richard, who for some reason preferred to be called Dick, played alongside the great Bobby Hull and they were best friends. This is how my three cousins had been groomed into the sport of hockey. The cousin that I had left out is my cousin Kyle. Kyle was one of the greatest prospects ever in the history of hockey. And it has been suggested that he would have been one of the greatest hockey players of all time as he also played for the Chicago Blackhawks. It is very rare for three siblings to play for the same team. But because of my uncle they were already considered hockey royalty. Though this story was easily forgotten, because it is not often talked about. The reason for this is that my cousin Kyle had been injured so severely that not only could he not ever play hockey again, he almost lost his ability to walk.
But still the experience must have been amazing as of course it is tragic. My cousin Kyle and I were very close. I have not seen him in many years. Just a couple years ago he came to visit. I was not doing very well, but my wife had the opportunity to meet him. She had told me that he was raving about me as I am a very large man and the last he had remembered of me I was healthy and in incredible shape and LOVED to eat. Of course it was for the purpose of putting on muscle, but I also enjoyed putting down four or five extra large pizzas as well. Before you get ahead of yourself, I was carrying a 32" waist.
My wife, Anna Bella Vaughan, said he was tremendously overweight and reeking of alcohol. Yet, jolly as Santa Clause. I had missed the opportunity due to my health. But as I have a page called The Greatest Stories Ever Told as I believe/know everyone has an incredible story, I believe this and my other anecdote about Kurt and Adam would be an example of this. In ending, Kyle had said to my wife laughing, "I sure hope you're a good cook, cause Joshua LOooooooves to eat."
~Joshua Jet Vaughan~
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.