Friday, September 18, 2015

In The Words of Anna Bella- Family Values (family redefined?) Part two

I was watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman.  I like to watch that show when my husband is taking a nap because he hates it.  I find weird foods fascinating, while he finds the prospect of eating a sheep's brain gross. And while I would never try brain because I too find it disgusting, watching other people eat them is educational to me.  (Which is strange because my husband has a taste for the strangest things, if it is considered an acquired taste; chances are he loves it. He's my perfect enigma in that way)

Something I've noticed about all of the countries I see on television, and the ones that I have been blessed to visit, that differs from America is that they eat together.  In fact, in many countries, restaurants are set up, almost cafeteria style, so that you are eating at a communal table with others.

There's an old saying that goes: the family that eats together stays together.  And how much of this is true?  My husband and I both dream of the day that we can once again enjoy a meal, at meal time, at a table, and just enjoy the food and one another's company, as that is something we have not been able to do because of his health in years.  Its very hard on him, but also it's hard on me.  The home I grew up in, we had scheduled meals when I was a child, but as I grew older, by the time I reached 10 it was basically grab and go.  And even though I did not like my parents, there was something nice about the routine, and provided a stability and comfort that I didn't receive emotionally directly from them, but in this act.  And when it had gone, what little familial bond there had been in my family went with it.  It is a blessing that I'm not sure many people even realize is there to be appreciated.

I watch Stouffer's commercials, and several others, where they reference that kids are so attached to their phones that they don't even bother to look up.



It does seem as if we have lost all sense of family values.


to be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.