Thursday, December 25, 2014

Marybeth and Lonny

Marybeth came from a typical family. They weren't living in luxury, but her parents and two older brothers worked hard to be comfortable and happy; to make sure all their needs were met.
When Mary was 14, Old Man Edwin, who everyone called Eddie, gave her a job at small diner down the road from the nearby university  She would go to school, stay after school to practice with her choice and then would walk the 6 blocks to the diner to work the dinner hour.

Monday through Friday this was her routine and she fell into it comfortably  Saturday she would go in during the morning for the breakfast rush and then come back that night again for dinner  She didn't make a lot, but she was proud that she was able to contribute to supporting their family as they had for her entire life

It was January and Mary was walking passed the university to the diner  She was bundled up and shivering as the winter wind snapped against her face, but she stopped for a moment  She loved watching the college students coming back, fresh and renewed from joyful times with family, but excited to see their friends and share with them their holidays  Watching them she dreamed of the day she'd leave home and start a life of her own, with friends of her own  She didn't know what she wanted to do with her life, but she knew she wanted to experience everything that she could

She got to the diner and while she changed out of her boots and coats into her apron and uniform, Mary daydreamed of having one person she felt close to, someone to have a real connection with.  Outside of her family, her choice and her job, she didn't know anyone  She had always been kind hearted, but she was also quiet, so the kids that she went to school with left her alone

Eddie had always been good to her  Given her a job so young  Making sure she was left alone by the rowdy college boys who came in  Generally watching after her like a surrogate grandfather

As she came into the kitchen for her shift Eddie said to her, "Young Mary, now why don't you tell Ol' Eddie why you didn't ask for the day off?  Am I mistaken or have you turned 15 years old today?"

Mary blushed and replied, "Yes sir, I did  But I've never really had a reason to celebrate my birthday before"

Eddie sighed and gave her a hug and said, "Don't you work too hard today then aight? And take anything you would like out of the desert counter on me.  Happy Birthday dear."

"Thanks Eddie" Mary said and went about tidying up her section.  The first couple of hours of her shift went by quickly and uneventfully.  The diner brought in college students, but mostly older couples seeking a bit of nostalgia to go with their meal.

Around 8:00 pm a young man came in and sat in Mary's section.  Eddie had been about to let her go home for the night, but Mary said she would take care of him.  She walked over to the young man, he looked in his early twenties to Mary, but he was so handsome it took her breath away.  He was staring down at the table top looking a bit forlorn and in another world.  She wondered what he could be contemplating so completely.  She smiled and asked him, "Sir, are you alright?  Can I get you anything?"

The young man looked up and gasped.  He said to her, "Miss, I do believe my luck has changed.  I think I just fell in love."

Mary had never flirted before.  She had had crushes, but nothing like she had read about in books.  This forward speaking had never occurred to her as being more than just a fairy tale.  She stuttered and finally asked if she could get him something to eat or drink.

He said back, "The one thing that you could give me would be your hand in marriage."

Embarrassed and unsure as to how to react she excused herself and fled.  Eddie, who had overheard the exchange came out and sat down that the young man's booth.  He introduced himself saying, "Hey there young man, I'm Old Man Edwin, but everyone calls me Eddie.  I own this diner and make sure everything in it is in top condition.  Now what have you done to our young Mary to make her rush off so?"

The young man said, "Sir, my name is Lonny.  I just got out of the army and started school across the way.  I may have been too forward, but I have never seen a more beautiful girl in my life, and I asked your Mary for her hand in marriage."

Eddie, sensing the boy had a good heart chuckled and said, "Well, Lonny, I'm pleased to meet your acquaintance, but our young Mary is just 15 years old today, and I don't believe she's ever had anything even close to a boyfriend.  Go easy on her with the flirting and we will get along just fine,  Now would you like something to eat?"

Eddie went back into the kitchen where Mary was still trying to compose herself and said to her, "Don't you worry yourself young Mary, I believe that boy is being kind to you.  He would like a plate of my chicken 'n dumplins and a glass of sweet tea, do you think you can do that?"

"Sure Eddie, of course I can." Mary said and rushed to get the man's food.

When she brought it to the table, he said, "Miss, I believe I owe you an apology.  You see, I've gone about everything in a completely improper manner, but I was so stunned by your beauty I forgot myself for a moment.  My name is Lonny."

"I'm Mary, " she managed to say, "And it's okay, I've just never had anyone say anything like that to me before, it just surprised me is all."

Lonny said, "Well, again, I am so sorry Mary.  Thank you for coming back out here so I could make things right." As she turned to walk away he added, "And happy birthday."

Mary turned back and said, "How did you know it was my birthday?"

Lonny replied, "Eddie told me.  He said you turned 15 today, did you do anything special?"

Mary said, "It's my 15th birthday today, but I never do anything for my birthday because there never seems to be anything to celebrate about it.  I'm not morbid or anything, it just seems silly when everyone has one and no one did anything to earn being born, " she rattled off, embarrassed at the way she talking so much.

Lonny replied, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

YES!! Her mind screamed, but she said to him, "I've read about it, but I don't know that I believe in it.  Shouldn't you know someone to love them?"

Lonny said, "That's a very logical thought, but love isn't always about logic.  Mary, I meant what I said earlier.  I do believe I've fallen in love with you, but with you being 15 and me being 22 it wouldn't be proper and I would never do anything to dishonor you or tarnish anything we would have between us.  But I will wait, forever if I have to, for you if you would only say that I have a chance of winning your heart."

Mary was stunned again.  She didn't know how to respond.  Everything inside her and about her wanted to scream yes yes yes, but she was scared.  She said to him, "okeedokee." and fled again.

She was too embarrassed to go back out.  She told Eddie she wasn't feeling well and asked him if he could finish up for her.  He of course obliged.

All the way home she was mentally kicking herself.  "Okeedokee? Really?  That's what you said?  Who says okeedokee to those poetic words?" When she got home, her house was quiet.  Her whole family worked at the university and had an early start, but there was a cupcake sitting on the kitchen table with a card and a pretty sweater she had had her eyes on.  While they weren't able to celebrate with her (she preferred it this way) they always made sure that Mary knew she was loved and thought of.  But even the birthday cheer didn't ease the feeling in the pit of her stomach.  She assumed she would never see the beautiful man again and lay awake most of the night disappointed and feeling emotions that she had never known before.

~~~

The next day was Saturday.  She got up early and went into the diner for the breakfast shift.  She tried hard not to notice that Lonny didn't come in.  When Eddie asked her what was wrong, she just shrugged and said she still wasn't feeling very well.  He told her to go home and get some rest and to call him if she wasn't up to coming in that night.

She went home feeling sorry for herself and disappointed in herself that she had let Eddie down when he had been so kind to her, but she couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to see Lonny again.  She went back that night for the dinner shift.  The first couple of hours were slow and Mary was sure Eddie would send her home early, especially since she hadn't been "feeling well." But he didn't.  6 came and passed, 7 came and passed without a soul coming into the diner.  Mary was working up the courage to ask Eddie about it when the little bell on the front door tinkled.  She walked out and there, in the same booth as the night before was Lonny.  She looked over at Eddie and he winked at her and made a shooing motion with his hand for her to go over.

Lonny said to her, "Hello Mary.  I have thought of nothing but you all day today."

Mary, thinking that she had to get her head on straight said, "Good evening Lonny.  You can't say things like that to me all the time.  I get nervous and uncomfortable.  You will get bored and I will be left here.  I'm only 15, I can't be dating someone even as handsome as you."  She couldn't believe she had added the last part.

Lonny said, "Mary, I will wait for you forever if I have to.  I've told you this.  You are my future and my life now.  I am not a boy, I am a man.  A very patient man.  I've waited my life to find you, and I will wait forever for the time where I never have to let you go."  Seeing that Mary had turned a bright shade of red and looked about ready to flee again, Lonny abruptly changed the topic saying, "Now those chicken and dumplings were the best I'd ever had.  Could I please have some with some cornbread and a sweet tea?"

Mary, disoriented from both his confession and his sudden change of topic just said, "Of course" and ran off to get them.

As time passed, Lonny came into the diner every night that Mary was working.

Each night Eddie would tell him, "Be patient, but I won't allow any shenanigans"

 and each night Lonny would tell him back, "Sir, my intentions are beyond honorable."

Mary became more and more comfortable with Lonny.  After about six months, enough to sit down and talk with him while he ate his nightly chicken and dumplings with sweet tea.  Sometimes he would buy her a confection out of the desert counter, but most of the time they would just talk.

After a year Mary considered him her best friend.  She would tell him about her life and her dreams and goals, and how she loved music, but didn't want it to be a job, singing was a passion to her.

Lonny would tell her about his classes at the university and how he played the guitar and dreamed of travelling the world playing music to those less fortunate.  "Music," he would tell her, "is the only universal language.  Greater than human compassion, greater than love.  Music can reach out and heal souls."

~~~~

Mary didn't know the moment when she fell in love with Lonny.  But as day by day, month by month, and year by year passed she did more and more completely.  Everyday, without fail, he would appear in the same corner booth as the night before.  He would order chicken and dumplings with cornbread and sweet tea.  Once she had asked him why he ordered the same thing every day.

He said to her, "I may want spontaneity, I may want to travel and have adventure, but at heart I am a creature of habit.  I like what I am used to, and I love what I love, and that's a love that never fails no matter who or what it is," looking directly into her eyes while he said the last.

Instead of being flustered, she felt honored.  She was almost 18 years old.  He had faithfully been into the diner every night for the last three years.  She was excited and nervous for her birthday.  He had stated many times before that he intended to ask her father for permission to court her properly on her 18th birthday.  She had never felt she wanted anything as much as she wanted to be with Lonny.

~~~~

On her 18th birthday, her family had taken off of work.  It was a Saturday, and Eddie had given her the morning off.  They had told her that they wanted to do something special for her birthday this year, have a little party at home.  She had decided to put on a happy face about it, but while she showered and got dressed all she could think about was getting to the diner that night to see Lonny.

Once she was ready for the day she came into the living room.  There were streamers and balloons, and a large banner that said 'Happy Birthday Mary!!' but there was no one there.  She walked into the kitchen, she searched the house, but she couldn't find them anywhere.

She wandered back to the living room and there in the middle of the room was Lonny, on one knee holding a small velvet black box.  He said to her, "Mary, I will wait forever for you, but I want my forever to be with you.  Please, make my life, my soul, and my heart whole by marrying me."

Mary started to cry and ran into his arms and said, "Yes, of course yes!" Her family and Eddie came out of their hiding places and gave them both a hug.  She said to Lonny, "How did you do this?" and turning to her family asked, "How did you know?"

Her father explained that Eddie had called him up the first night Lonny had come into the diner.  And every night after Mary had left, Eddie and Lonny would talk, and the three of them would meet every Saturday morning while she was working.  Each day Lonny would charm her family and each night Lonny would charm Mary.  His dedication to her over the years both impressed her parents, and made them feel she was safe with him and when Lonny had asked for her hand in marriage, the answer was an overwhelming yes.

Lonny took Mary in his arms and said, "Are you happy, my Mary?"

She said back to him, "Happier than I could have ever imagined."

He said, "Now, on your birthdays, we will have something to celebrate."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.