Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2
Maybe people walk through life wonderful if they have ever encountered an angel. I, however, lie blessed as one of the few who has and knows it.
When I first met my husband, I was drawn to his eyes. Not just because they are beautiful, but also because beneath them I could see a depth and pain that I knew only I could see. While he was smiling at me, I could see that the smile was only on the surface of his soul, while a deep trial and journey laid within.
As a child, and I say a child because at 20 years old and having been through no true life experience, that is what I was, I wanted to hug away the pain in his eyes. But of course, that is not what you do, walk up to someone you don't know and hug them, but all the same that is what my heart desired.
As our meeting, and the beginning of our romance and love took off, I was seeing more and more of this amazing man who had fallen into my life and into my heart.
One night we went out to dinner and then landed at a casino. Several people that I had went to high school with were there when we arrived. One of which was known as The Atheist while I was in high school. He was known for being so fervently opposed to any ideal of a deity existing that everyone just called him The Atheist. We began talking with him, about everything and anything. After a while, I had to leave to find a restroom.
I was gone for perhaps 10 minutes and as I was approaching them I heard my Joshua and The Atheist speaking about God. I cringed inwardly, until I got upon them and heard no sarcasm, no deep rooted hatred in The Atheist's voice, I heard only awe and wonder at the words that Joshua was speaking. To say that I had shock running through my system would be an understatement. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I would have been less surprised to have come back to find Joshua speaking with Jesus Christ Himself, than to hear a conversation with The Atheist about God that wasn't filled with anything but condescension.
When the shock finally wore off and I began to actually hear what they were saying, I heard The Atheist talking about how when he was younger he believed and then upon seeing more of life he began to lose his faith because of the trials he had been through in his life and how he had always been alone. My Joshua listened and showed a level of compassion that I had always longed to possess, but had never even seen before. You could see the care and the love in his heart and soul for this man that he had never met written across his face. I could feel it and it made my heart swell and made me love him even more, which I had not thought was possible. Even now as I write about the memory of it, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the love that he poured out to a stranger over the trials that he had been through, even though my Joshua's life has been filled with such a level of suffering that is beyond even my comprehension; he loves everyone and relates to everyone and empathizes with each and every person he comes across.
From the moment I met Joshua he's always had this pure concern for everyone and everything around him. He gives love more freely than... I can't even now compare it to anything because it is so beyond words. It is truly something you must see and experience yourself in order to understand. It is more beautiful than the most beautiful sunrise.
The Atheist could feel the genuine love coming from Joshua. I have no doubt in my mind that this is what led The Atheist to turn to God that night. He accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior, and God as his Father. The Atheist was no more, he was simply Aaron for possibly the first time in years. A burden had been lifted off his shoulders so heavy that he even stood taller, his face was lighter and looked younger, his actual age.
This is only one instance of many where I saw my husband reach out with soul and spirit into the hearts, minds and souls of the people around them and heal something that we, as humans, can not see. But he does... I may not know where these people are at this moment, but I do know one thing: that their lives are better for having had Joshua in it. My life is better with Joshua in it.
~Anna Bella Vaughan
One night we went out to dinner and then landed at a casino. Several people that I had went to high school with were there when we arrived. One of which was known as The Atheist while I was in high school. He was known for being so fervently opposed to any ideal of a deity existing that everyone just called him The Atheist. We began talking with him, about everything and anything. After a while, I had to leave to find a restroom.
I was gone for perhaps 10 minutes and as I was approaching them I heard my Joshua and The Atheist speaking about God. I cringed inwardly, until I got upon them and heard no sarcasm, no deep rooted hatred in The Atheist's voice, I heard only awe and wonder at the words that Joshua was speaking. To say that I had shock running through my system would be an understatement. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I would have been less surprised to have come back to find Joshua speaking with Jesus Christ Himself, than to hear a conversation with The Atheist about God that wasn't filled with anything but condescension.
When the shock finally wore off and I began to actually hear what they were saying, I heard The Atheist talking about how when he was younger he believed and then upon seeing more of life he began to lose his faith because of the trials he had been through in his life and how he had always been alone. My Joshua listened and showed a level of compassion that I had always longed to possess, but had never even seen before. You could see the care and the love in his heart and soul for this man that he had never met written across his face. I could feel it and it made my heart swell and made me love him even more, which I had not thought was possible. Even now as I write about the memory of it, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the love that he poured out to a stranger over the trials that he had been through, even though my Joshua's life has been filled with such a level of suffering that is beyond even my comprehension; he loves everyone and relates to everyone and empathizes with each and every person he comes across.
From the moment I met Joshua he's always had this pure concern for everyone and everything around him. He gives love more freely than... I can't even now compare it to anything because it is so beyond words. It is truly something you must see and experience yourself in order to understand. It is more beautiful than the most beautiful sunrise.
The Atheist could feel the genuine love coming from Joshua. I have no doubt in my mind that this is what led The Atheist to turn to God that night. He accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior, and God as his Father. The Atheist was no more, he was simply Aaron for possibly the first time in years. A burden had been lifted off his shoulders so heavy that he even stood taller, his face was lighter and looked younger, his actual age.
This is only one instance of many where I saw my husband reach out with soul and spirit into the hearts, minds and souls of the people around them and heal something that we, as humans, can not see. But he does... I may not know where these people are at this moment, but I do know one thing: that their lives are better for having had Joshua in it. My life is better with Joshua in it.
~Anna Bella Vaughan
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are needed, wanted and appreciated.